US Uncut will be meeting up at Caribou Coffee at 3240 North Ashland between 12:30 and 1 PM.
#####EMBARGOED and CONFIDENTIAL#####
#####Email info@usuncutchicago dot org for specific information######
…PLEASE COME OUT! You’ll have made your voice heard within an hour.
ALSO – There will be additional collateral for independent activism that you can take with you to spread the word.
FINALLY – I will be at New Wave Coffee on Friday afternoon: 2557 North Milwaukee with some handout material, as well as some super sexy subversive collateral –
I would tell you more – but it has to be an “off line” conversation. Please email me at info@usuncutchicago dot org for info.
Standing in solidarity with the Uncut movement across the globe – Saturday March 26th marks the Uncut’s movement second Global Day of Action!
Still not feeling the urgency? Let’s have a look at what the Greedy Ba$tard$ have up their sleeve for their next trick:
Read it and weep – who’s behind it you ask? This lovely bunch of corporate types: http://www.civiccommittee.org/
These are the people who shovel money hand over fist into our electoral politics. They are they ones with the $$$ that buys their influence in our political discourse. They are the ones with the ear of our lawmakers.
It’s time those lawmakers who only seem to hear the voice of money talking, start listening to us.
We’re going to make them think twice before they vote to enact another tax holiday. Or continue to listen to the voice of money over the voice of the people who elect them.
If you haven’t been able to participate yet, now’s as good a time as any. We’re planning more demos going into the summer, and on-going actions incorporating street art and satirical demonstrations. There’s a lot of opportunities to spread the word, and we’ve got plenty of handout material.
If you have any questions, please – post them here. Or email us at info at usuncutchicago.org.
We need feet in the street. Your feet will do quite nicely. So put on some comfortable shoes and a smile. Bring a friend, bring two! You’re all necessary – and needed.
This past week I was introduced to the work of Senator Bernie Sanders. All I can say is WOW! This guy is saying exactly what I and lots of Americans have been thinking.
In his book “The Speech” he lays out why the “agreement” on extending tax breaks for the rich between President Obama and the Republican party is not good for the American people. Senator Sanders also points out why the Estate tax will not affect 99.7% of Americans and how the Rich are getting tax breaks while Disabled Veterans get ignored.
Some of the examples, he brings to light, are as follows:
- The tax break will benefit the top 2 percent of Millionaire and Billionaires, some who say they do not need it. Two of them saying this are two of the richest people in America, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. (Sanders, pg 14)
- The tax break will add $700 BILLION to our national debt if approved, as the Republicans wanted for 10 years.(Sanders, pg 14)
- The tax break, for the richest, will be financed by working Americans and the debt will most likely carry over to be paid for by our children and grandchildren.
- That the “Death Tax” will NOT affect 99.7 percent of Americans and is applicable to only the “very, very, very rich.” (Sanders, pg 16) For example the Walton Family, owners of Walmart, worth $89.6 billion, WILL receive a “$32.7 BILLION tax break!” (Sanders, pg 41). The importance of understanding this that is you are moderately rich, middle class or poor “you do not pay one nickel in estate tax.” (Sanders, pg 41) Also, the “agreement between the President and the Republicans… significantly lowers the rates the richest people, the very richest people in this country, would have to pay.” (Sanders, pg 41)
- That while the Republicans were passing out short term loans to: Goldman Sachs $780 Billion, Morgan Stanley over $2 Trillion, Citigroup $2.4 Trillion and Merrill Lynch $2.2 Trillion (Sanders, pg 29) they shot down a COLA check to DISABLED VETERANS, (full disclosure – I am a disabled Vet) Senator Sanders legislation was going to give veterans a one time check of $250.00 to offset the rising cost of their prescriptions. Given that veterans have not gotten a COLA adjustment in two years it seems reasonable.
Yet Senator Sanders could not get ONE Republican vote for it. Some veterans live on $20,000 a year and they could not get a $250.00 check! The Republicans on the other hand were happy to give someone making $50 Million a year an extra $1,000,000 in tax breaks. As Senator Sanders said in his landmark speech “If you are very, very rich, the good news is you are going to get more tax breaks. But if you are a.. disabled vet, we can’t get you a $250 check.” (Sanders, pg 42)
- The four largest banks in this country, “Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo and Citigroup issue 1/2 of all mortgages in this country.” (Sanders, pg 33) The aforementioned banks who foreclosed on millions of people in recent years were the very same banks who were bailed-out by the same people whom they had just kicked out of their homes.
- The same banks, who failed as a business and were bailed-out, paid out HUGE bonuses to their CEO’s. John Mack the CEO of Morgan Stanley received, at the time the largest bonus ever to a Wall Street executiv, $40 million.
Ken Lewis, Former CEO of Bank of America received $147 million in total compensation and his company paid ZERO taxes on a profit of $4.2 billion.
The CEO of JPMorgan, James Dimon, received $110 million in compensation all while his company was receiving “hundred of billions in low-interest loans” from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department (Sanders, pg 26).
I am not sure about you but my bonus was tied into my ability to do my work. If I lead my company down a path of destruction and needed loans to recover I am damned if I would get a bonus!
All of this was occurring while Vets could not get a measly $250 check, the unemployment rate soared, and the Rich got Richer!
Well I could go on and on but I think by now you get the gist of the message. If you want to read the speech itself please visit Bernie Sanders website
You can also download the transcript here
You can also buy the book from your local bookstore too.
I have posted the beginning of the 8.5 hour speech below from Senator Sanders youtube Channel
I will close with another quote from Senator Bernie Sanders.
“This is a transfer of wealth. It is Robin Hood in reverse. We are taking from the middle class and working families and we are giving it to the wealthiest people in this country.” It is “driving up the national debt so our kids can pay more taxes in order to pay off that debt.”
Sanders, B. (2011). The Speech. New York: Nations Books
This past weekend US Uncut Chapters in Philadelphia, New York, California and Georgia held protests at Bank of America’s. Here in Chicago we had a meeting to plan for the upcoming, larger, nationwide protests.
On Saturday March 26th, in addition to Chicago, over thirty cities have protests planned. Please see who has signed up, if there is one in your area, then add your voice to the growing multitudes. If you live Chicago, please, join our Meetup Group, our Facebook Page , or US UnCut Chicago web-page to keep in touch with upcoming events and join in the fun.
The video below is from our sister chapter in Boston’s teach-in. To see what to expect at a protest please watch the video.
Recently I came across a magazine call “The Nation.” I find it interesting to read as an alternative to the usual suspects, i.e. Newsweek, Time, New Yorker. In the current issue there are articles on the following topics:
- Letters section “Scrap the Constitution?” and “Epps Replies”
- Article on “The Spirit of Wisconsin” by John Nicols
- Article on “The End of Secrecy” by Micah L. Sifry
- Article on “After Berlusconi, Nichi?” by Frederika Randall
And much more but, I wanted to share my favorite piece from this issue. I enjoy the poetry of Stuart Dybek, Carl Sandburg and Walt Whitman to name a few. Today I will add to that list Calvin Trillin. Below is the poem with credit to “The Nation” and Calvin Trillin.
Scott Walker said that he was just a bloke
Who, knowing that his state was going broke,
Saw saving measures that he must invoke.
But then, when he obsequiously spoke
To someone who he thought was David Koch
(It wasn’t Koch; a guy had played a joke),
The phone pals made it clear they’d like to choke
Off unions’ rights, and saw this as the stroke–
A stoke disguised within a budget cloak–
To start the unions’ going up in smoke.
No surprise there.
I hope you enjoyed the poem as much as I did and if you would like to learn more about what “The Nation” shares with its readers please visit their website at www.thenation.com
Thank you to comalliwrites from twitter for pointing out that I was a victim of auto correct. Trillin’s name was spelled incorrectly.