A few days ago I wrote about how to make sidewalk chalk. After a bit of testing I wanted something that was more vivid in color. Then my daughter smiled at me after drinking her Kool-aid and as I wiped off her little face I realized the answer was staring me in the face.
Ahh, Koolaid the high sugar power drink for kids! Now we can use it to power our message that we are mobilizing and taking back our government.
Below are three recipes that I tested. * Note I did substitute, Mixade, a less expensive version of Kool-Aid.
- Flour based paint
- Directions: In a large pot add 3 cups of water and 3 tbsp of oil. Bring to a boil and add the following:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 packs unsweetened Mixade or Kool-Aid
- 1/2 cup salt
This recipe makes a very good consistency and makes really vivid colors!
- Cornstarch based Paint
I then tried a variation on the corn starch that I used for chalk. This time I added more cornstarch and the Mixade instead of food coloring.
- Directions: Mix cornstarch and water in a saucepan and stir until mixture thickens.
- Allow to cool, then add Mixade.
- This one makes very vivid colors too.
- Corn Syrup based Paint
- This one is simple and has but two ingredients
- Pour corn syrup into bowl.
- Add your favorite color of Mixade
- For this one you have to have time for it to dry but it paints very nicely almost like traditional paint.
- Also be aware that this is sticky!
I suggest that you use a small roller with a square bucket for ease of use. Also, if you do use these let me know your results and send photo’s.